Life is sometimes unforeseen and can throw unpleasant surprises. One of these surprises, which is sometimes presented to us suddenly, we can consider a hole in the wall formed. The reasons for its appearance can be many.
This is the result of the replacement of pipes, the rearrangement of furniture, the installation of various household appliances. The reason is not so important, it does not affect the course of repair. More important in this situation is the problem of removing a hole in the wall. And it is desirable to do it yourself without unnecessary financial costs.
Do not be afraid to take this job, even if you do not have enough experience in repair. Even a beginner will be able to easily understand the whole essence of the technologies used to eliminate the defects of the partition associated with the formation of different hole sizes.
The solution to the problem depends on two factors:
- material used in the construction of the wall: concrete, brick or plasterboard;
- hole size: small hole, large deep or through hole.
So, we will analyze the methods and the materials used, depending on these factors.
Small-sized holes can arise from a hammered nail, dowel or other mechanical damage. It looks awful and can harm the overall construction of the wall, so it is necessary to close the slots in a timely manner. To do this you will need a metal spatula, a mixture, a screw, sandpaper and a vacuum cleaner. This could be used for how to repair cracks in plaster walls as well.
The sequence of the works for how to fix plaster walls is following:
- Insert a suitable screw into the hole and move it in all directions. You need to achieve the hole channel expansion.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust that has formed.
- Use a spatula to apply the solution, press it into the groove and level the surface. After complete drying, it is necessary to clean it with sandpaper.
- Depending on which finishing material you have on the wall, seal the surface. If it can look gross, then apply the application or something like that. As a solution, alabaster or any kind of gypsum is used. It is also possible to apply cement with sand (in the ratio 1:3).
How to fix a hole in a plaster wall of a large size
Such holes occur mainly after removal of the socket box and other mechanical effects. It is necessary to seal them immediately, since the structure of the overlap depends on the size of the gap. They are covered with any gypsum solution.
Of the tools you will use all of the above, plus a piece of stone. With a vacuum cleaner, the groove is cleaned and wetted with water for soaking.
If the hole reaches 2 in, then simply cover it with a solution, and after drying again, lubricate, because the mixture gives cracks. How to plaster a hole in the wall? Since it is more difficult to seal a hole in a larger wall, you have to first spread a thin layer of mortar, then put a piece of stone or brick on it and carefully cover it with plaster. Over the closed hole, the final putty is applied and the surface is leveled. Next use sandpaper. That’s all you need to repair hole in plaster wall.
Through hole can appear from anywhere, for example, under the weight of household appliances or all kinds of lockers. Breaking off, they violate the integrity of the wall. Naturally, you need to stop this from two sides, but if you can not do it, then you can manage one way.
The tools you need include a spatula, dowels with screws, electric drill, bricks and, accordingly, the mortar itself.
Using an electric drill, you need to drill and mount the four strongest dowels with screws into the hole. Thus, there will be a support for the brick so that it does not fall to the other side. Stone or brick should be chosen the appropriate size, so that it closes the hole sufficiently tightly.
All this is strengthened only with cement mortar, made as we described above. Carefully watch that there are no gaps, fill all empty places with a mixture. Next, make the finishing work, sand and cover with the necessary material.
Patching plaster walls using foam seal
If during the shrinkage of the building in the room the inter-panel seams have parted or a deep crack has formed, then here too it is not worth puzzling what to seal such a hole in the wall. In this case, use the mounting foam, which is sold in aerosol cans in any construction shop. It perfectly fills the void, easily penetrating even the hard-to-reach places. In this article, you can learn about how to repair cracks of varying complexity.
- Before you get started, prepare a place – clean it of dirt, dust and other debris. Moisten the surface of the wall.
- Before applying the foam, you need to shake the ball well, so that its contents turn into a homogeneous mass. This will take you at least a minute.
- During operation, keep the cylinder upside down, since the gas contained in it, displacing the mounting foam, is lighter.
- Fill the vertical slots from the bottom up.
- If the hole is too deep, apply the contents of the cylinder layers, overlaying a new layer after drying the previous one.
- Filling the hole, you should not touch the raw mounting foam with your hands, this can change the structure of the material and slow down the process of its solidification. Wait until it dries.
- Remove the excess of dried foam with a knife and coat the surface.
- When the putty dries, level the place with fine-grained sandpaper.