If it so happened that the wall or ceiling coating from the GKL sheets was damaged, then the question arises – how to fix a hole in the drywall? And how to carry out the restoration of the coating in such a way that there is no trace of the past damage?
How to fix a hole in drywall: the small one
In the event that a shallow dent formed on the drywall, which did not entail the destruction of the structure of the drywall sheet, it is necessary to remove the wallpaper or paint layer within 2-3 cm around it, apply a layer of joint compound to the dent.
After the compound has dried, the treated area should be sanded with sandpaper or other abrasive material.
If necessary, apply the second – the final layer of compound and treat it with an abrasive as it dries. After that, the wall can be wallpapered or painted.
If small hole forms in the gypsum drywall after an unsuccessful attempt to drive a nail into it, drill a hole using a drill with a diameter of about 7-8 mm, and then clean the cavity from the inside to ensure its quality filling with the repair mixture.
It is not superfluous to clean the hole with a vacuum cleaner from the debris that is inside.
After the hole is filled with compound, level with a spatula repair mixture and after drying, treat it with abrasive material.
How to patch drywall holes: medium-sized
Clean the place of the embossed hole from the wallpaper. With the same sheet of drywall, that is, with the same thickness – cut out the patch a little more than a hole about a centimeter into four. You can cut a square.
Cut the edges of the patch at an angle of 45 degrees. To do this, you need to draw lines in parallel with each edge in a pencil parallel to each edge, which shows the internal boundaries to which you need to cut off excess gypsum.
Rubber for drywall removes unnecessary gypsum only up to the internal boundary of the line. All patch is ready, proceed to the hole being closed. Transfer the dimensions of the patch to the embedding hole.
To do this, put the ready patch in the middle of the hole to be closed and mark the border of this square with a pencil.
In the marked square on the wall, make a marking of the internal borders at a distance equal to the thickness of the drywall. Then you make a saw with a hacksaw for the drywall on the inner boundaries of the square.
Cut the drywall on the inner borders, the plane for the gypsum board with the side part or the construction knife, cut the edges at an angle of 45 degrees to the external marking. Try on a patch. If it sits well, grease the edges with gypsum.
Insert the patch in the wall, press it to squeeze out excess gypsum, hold it for a few minutes, then take the finishing compound and seal the formed seams on the wall. This method can be used to seal a torn hole without changing the entire sheet of drywall.
You could use the abovementioned guide for how to patch a small holes in drywall as well
How to Patch a Large Hole in Drywall
1. To seal a hole in the drywall, you first have to measure it. And you need to measure not only the hole itself, but the entire deformed area around it. For example, if a hole is formed due to water leakage, it is necessary to isolate the entire damaged area of dry gypsum plaster. Also, it will not be superfluous to add measurements to approximately 5 cm of stock.
2. Then use a pencil with a ruler to transfer the obtained measurements to a separate sheet of drywall. In doing so, apply a border from the corner of the sheet, and not from its middle.
3. To start cutting drywall, put it on a raised horizontal plane (table or “goat”). If the drywall sheet is much larger than the area indicated by the pencil, it will need to be divided. To do this, first apply a flat boundary, and then cut the sheet with a special knife.
4. In an identical way cut off the excess section of drywall to get the desired size of the workpiece.
5. Cover the entire hole in the gypsum board with the existing workpiece. Circle the gypsum board with a pencil, thereby reflecting its dimensions on the wall.
6. Take the saw blade, and following the cut lines cut out the desired area in the wall.
7. From the inside of the hole you need to fix two wooden bars. Therefore, depending on the size of the hole, they need to be shortened. To do this, use a wood hacksaw.
8. The bars should be installed in an upright position with an indent from the edge of the hole of 3-5 centimeters. First, insert the first bar into the hole and give it the desired position. Hold the bar hand, fasten it with screws and electric drills. Screw the screws to the stop, in order to completely “drown” them. Fastening is performed both in the upper part of the bar, and in the bottom. Similarly, fix the second bar.
9. Fill a hole in the wall with a gypsum board and secure it with screws in four places.
10. Now you need to repair the formed cracks in the wall. For this you will need a fiberglass tape.
Divide the ribbon into the required lengths, cover all the existing cracks. And fix its position with glue.
Using a drywall knife, fill all the cracks in the drywall with compound. Then spate those places where there are screwed screws. And at the end, fill the entire area in which the repair was done.
11. Before proceeding to the next stage of hole fixing, wait until the compound has dried completely.
12. Use the sandpaper to grind the entire fixed area.
That’s how to repair a hole in drywall of different sizes