The repair is rarely done without plastering and priming the surface of the walls. What is spackle used for? This type of work is done in the final stage to obtain a smooth and even surface. In addition to a flat surface, the shattered walls have a number of advantages, including a neat appearance and simplification of further work.
Doing your own work, it’s important to know how to coat the walls to get a smooth and smooth surface for painting or wallpapering. Spackling the walls with your own hands is a fairly simple kind of work, the main thing is to understand what you need to do, observe the order of actions and be able to handle the tool.
To independently fill the walls, prepare a minimum set of tools. Without which tools can not you manage?
1. Drill, equipped with a special nozzle – a mixer. As a rule, spackle is sold as a dry mix. In such a mixture, water is added in a certain proportion. Only with a special mixer you can perfectly mix the spackle mixture. The output should be a homogeneous filler without lumps.
2. A set of spatulas. It is necessary to choose a spatula of different sizes. In the work you will have to use large spatulas (15-20 in), and very small ones. After all, in problematic hard-to-reach places it will not be possible to smoothly coat the wall with a large spatula. Just for this, small trowels are used.
3. Rollers and brushes for priming walls. The step of priming is undesirable to pass. After priming, the wall is covered with a very thin film. This not only increases its strength further, but also provides excellent adhesion of the treated wall to any facing material (adhesion).
4. The rule. It will be necessary in case of uneven walls when it is necessary to put a spackle on a thick layer. For leveling thick layers of spackle it is convenient to use a long metal rule.
5. Alcohol or laser level. Often the surface of the wall is very uneven. Before starting the starting to spackle, establish the test beacons, applying alcohol or laser level for testing.
6. Sandpaper. If you want to get a beautiful surface, which is nice to look at, use small skins for mashing. For example, grouting the 240th skin will allow you to get the perfect result. Use the finest skins only when finishing the spackle. And at the stage of the starting initial spackle properly wipe the wall with a coarse sandpaper.
7. The manual sander. Grout grouting will be much more convenient if you use a hand-held scooter. It is a tool on the handle of which special clamps are installed to fasten the skin.
8. Well, of course, you can not do without a tank, which mixes spackle.
Preparation of the wall surface before spackle
The main thing – make sure that the surface of the walls was absolutely clean. Spots of grease, paint or soot must be removed. Of course, should not occur falling off the layer of plaster, the residue of scale, wax or part of the formwork. Do not even start filling the frozen ceiling and walls. This is strictly not recommended.
Before applying the spackle, cover the walls with a primer. This will ensure a good adhesion (connection) spackle mortar with walls. Priming the surface with a special roller. Try to apply the primer solution evenly, avoiding misfires. One layer is enough.
How to apply spackle
Despite the fact that the market for building materials is now crowded with various ready-made mixtures, it is better to take dry spackle and plant them with your own hands. This is due to the fact that you need to find “your” consistency.
Someone will be more comfortable to apply a more fluid version, someone will like it more dense. This applies to the starting line, and to the finish putty. Prepare the mixture simply: pour the powder into any suitable container and gradually dilute with water at room temperature, continuously stirring. You can use a construction mixer. The amount of the finished mixture depends on the amount of work, but keep in mind that it dries up pretty quickly.
Clean the work surface from dirt, old wallpaper or paint.
The next step is applying a spackle knife. For large and level surfaces (for example, walls) it is better to take a bigger tool, for corners and hard-to-reach areas – smaller. The best spatulas are made of stainless steel.
First apply the starting filler layer 0.2-0.3 in. In particularly difficult cases, the primary layer can be reinforced with a special plastic mesh.
If there are large potholes in the wall, first fill them up to the general level. If you need to fill the corners – use a special corner spatula. That’s how to spackle corners.
Each layer of spackle dries about a day. The next layer can be applied only after the previous one has dried completely. This is one of the spackling techniques.
Normally two or three layers of spackle are required. Finish coat with no more than 0.04-0.08 in. Be sure to change the direction of application of the spackle from the layer to the layer.
Ideally, after applying the last layer, all surface defects (seams, joints, cracks) should be hidden. However, the surface spackle technology under the wallpaper allows for blemishes: it is not necessary that the surface is absolutely smooth.
Dry dried-up surface is treated with a sandpaper. It is necessary to sand every dry layer of putty. A skin can be wrapped in any suitable wooden bar. You can also use a manual grinder.
When working with spackle, do not forget about safety. Dilute the dry mixture best by wearing a respirator.
If you decide to use a wide spatula, put the putty on it finer. This will greatly facilitate the work.
After work, immediately flush the tool with warm water. Do not flush the water solution of putty in the sewer, it is fraught with clogs!
In the first three days after application, the spackle should be protected from moisture, hypothermia or drying.